- 1whole onion chopped
- 6cloves garlic crushed
- 1tbs ginger crushed (grated)
- 2carrots chopped
- 2big tomatoes cut into pieces
- 3/4cup tomato puree (I used passata in a bottle)
- 4tsp curry powder (medium for extra kick)
- 2tsp fennel seeds
- 2cups green on brown lentils
- 3-4cups water
- 150gr baby spinach (about 2 firmly packed cups)
- salt and pepper to taste
Sauté the onion in a little bit of water on medium heat until caramelised for about 5 minutes.
Add the carrots, ginger, garlic, curry powder, fennel seeds, tomatoes and cook on medium heat for 1-2 minutes ’til the spices become fragrant.
Put in the tomato paste and 1 cup of water, mix well so all is properly combined and bring the stew to a simmer.
Add the lentils, 2 cups of water so it reaches about 2 cm above the lentils and bring to a boil.
Then cover the pot, reduce heat and cook for about 20 -30 minutes until the lentils are soft. Check occasionally that they are not sticking to the bottom and add more water if necessary.
Take of the heat and mix in spinach. (The leaves will soften within a few minutes. )
Use salt and pepper if needed and serve over some brown rice or potatoes.